We have released a new, full version with an installer and a some updates : Z28
It is compatible with version Z, so does not contain the new tyre physics or the VW Scirocco. The main reason for this new version is that LFS really needed an installer. This will make it a lot easier for new users to install LFS, and there are also benefits for existing users.
The installer gives you a default folder of C:\LFS but you can choose wherever you like. Vista and Windows 7 users should preferably not use their Program Files folder because of some issues that come up.
The installer is very non-intrusive, it just extracts LFS into the specified folder and adds an icon to your desktop (if you wish) and a start menu item (if you wish). Also optional is an automatic setup of file associations for SPR / MPR / LYT and SET files.
One thing many of our users liked about the self extracting archives is that they wrote no information at all to the Windows registry. Our installer does make at least one entry to the registry, to allow the uninstaller to work. Also the optional file associations are registry entries. You can recreate an old-style install, with absolutely nothing added to the registry and no shortcuts by following these two steps :
1) Install LFS (you can disable all file associations and shortcuts during the install)
2) Uninstall LFS - you'll see an option that allows you to leave the LFS folder in place. All registry entries and shortcuts will be removed.
NOTE : You will need to unlock after installing Z28!
This is because of a fix for some hibernating computers losing their unlock.
We have reset everyone's available unlocks to three (as if you had bought a new license).
Changes from Z25 to Z28 :
Reduced minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode
Reduced minimum speed in SHIFT+U mode to 0.1 m/s
Multiple host passwords are now stored (Join Specific Host screen)
Added support for lfs:// (start LFS with command line from web page)
FIX : Could not join S1 or S2 host after unlocking in Multiplayer screen
FIX : Clicking SPR / MPR did not work with "Load track when starting"
FIX : Two or more dedicated hosts could be started with same port
FIX : It was possible to reset the car while a vote was in progress
FIX : Help buttons sometimes translated after returning to English
Three ways to get Patch Z28 :
1) AUTO UPDATER - If you already have version V, W, X, Y or Z :
- Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Hosts" in LFS and choose a download mirror.
2) MANUAL PATCH (2.3 MB) - If you already have version Z25 :
- Click HERE and save the patch installer.
- You can run the patch installer from its download location or from your LFS folder.
3) FULL VERSION (134 MB) - If you are new to LFS or making a fresh installation.
- Click HERE to visit the download page and get the full version installer.